Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default IBM desktop PC can not boot from CD

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I'm working on a pal's IBM PII computer which was extremely slow so I
tried to format it but now I cannot boot from CD . I have check all
setup BIOS but nothing shows or states how to change the boot
sequence. Can anyone help pls.

More than likely it doesn't support boot from CD. That is a feature that
was not implemented in a lot of older computers. You need to boot it from
a floppy. Search online for win98 boot floppy or find the original win98
setup floppy disk.

Mike

Yep, that's how things used to be. In a clean machine there are no CDROM
drivers, so that's why you can't boot from it. The Win 98 floppys Mike
mentions install DOS routines and a generic CDROM driver. Amongst DOS is
FDISK for proper formatting and partitioning before installing Windows.
Your CDROM may now appear as an odd Letter, look carefully at the text on
screen, and you may notice it telling you that CDROM is drive R: or some
such random letter. Type R: to get onto the drive, then you can type Setup
and away you go.

Gareth.