Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Pipe benders

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
news:0fidnR2tQeEx16fVnZ2dnUVZ_siknZ2d@uniservecomm unications...
This is another tool I have no experience with, I have not even seen in
real life.

I came across a few as "other items sold on EBay". The concept intrigued
me as, in future, I will have a need to bend pipes and solid rods up to
1/2" or so into varying shapes.

I did a search and found a bewildering quantity of tools, all purported to
do the same thing:
-some were hand held and bent the pipe/rod in a fixed radius - these were
cheap
-some were floor/bench top mounted and had several dies, presumably to
provide different radii. Some of these had different attachments to make
rings, twist metal into corkscrew shapes etc. They varied between
$80-$1000.
-some were hydraulic
-some were really, really big and expensive.

I could not find an article which would provide an overview of their use,
a review of different makes etc.

So the question is this: Does anyone here have an experience with this
sort of tool? Are there types/manufacturers to go for? Are there any
caveats?

I am thinking versatility, low volume, low cost.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Some clues on exactly what you want to bend would be VERY helpful.

Steve