Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob[_7_] Bob[_7_] is offline

Default A different kind of metal forming

On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:44:45 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

I intend to learn a new skill and shape aluminum panels to make a motorcycle
fairing. I have seen a skilled pro make them, and have aquirred a beating
bag and have an antique hand-held English wheel.
Anyone experienced with panel beating enough to know if the easier to obtain
3003 Aluminum is as good a choice as 1100 series? Is .060 to thick?
Is an air plannishing hammer a substitite for a Wheel, or something to be
used with it?

1. 3003 is better than 1100, forming will work-harden 3003, but 1100
is dead soft and doesn't work-harden as much as any of the alloys.

2. .060 is way too thick, consider .032 - .040 with appropriate
bracing and reinforcement.

3. A wheel can shape and planish, shaping with a hammer designed for
planishing is an exercise in frustration. It's also much easier to
screw up with power....................DAMHIKT

Check out metalshapers.org for lots of helpful info,
and tinmantech.com, Ron Covell's site, and Williams Lowbuck Tools site
for tool info.

Bob