Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter recommendations

John Rumm wrote:

I need a petrol strimmer. Basic requirements a
Long - must reach the ground when I am standing up - something most
tools of this sort seem to fail to do!
Usage will be relatively light - an hour a week perhaps trimming edges,
round and under trees etc.
It would be handy if it could take a hedge trimmer attachment - I have
one tall evergreen hedge about 60' long that could use the occasional
taming. The extra reach would be handy - I don't have a hedge trimmer at
all at the moment.
Any recommendations?

I think I went into detail about this last year on another group. I set
up on my own as a gardener/handyman last May and spent a lot on new
gardening equipment.

I went round to a load of different dealers looking at what they had to
offer.For everyday use, almost all recommended buying from the Stihl
range.
So my search narrowed down. Stihl do a 'multi-use' range where you
unplug the strimmer, and turn it into a high hedge cutter etc. They were
quite pricy, but a good quality motor should ensure no problems. Then I
went to try them out. The strimmer was pretty good. the other
attachments were not. It is clear they were not designed for the one
use, so the balance of the unit was completely wrong for a stand alone
trimmer/lopper etc.
I discounted them immediately as too unwieldly.
A local dealer then showed me the Tanaka range of strimmers/hedge
cutters/chainsaws. I was smitten. They felt good in the hands, and the
dealer recommended them for everyday use - just as reliable as a Stihl
product he reckoned. So I bought the strimmer/brushcutter, and an 18"
hedge cutter (both petrol).
http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...ters-0000367.a
spx
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/...OL_HEDGECUTTER
S_1088.html

They do do an extension adaptor to fo fit a long reach hedge trimmer to
the strimmer head.
The strimmer has been perfect. Screw on the strimmer head, or take it
off to fit a steel blade. Dead easy, and it has been perfectly reliable.
The hedge cutter was faulty when I bought it. It went back twice, as it
would only run for 5 minutes, then die. It went back again, had a new
carb fitted, and has been trouble free since.
I would recommend them for everyday use. However for just use at your
own garden it may well be a little OTT, as the combined cost was around
£400. The dealer seemed to think the Ryobi range was perfect for
occasional use, but would quickly wear out when used daily. At half the
price, that is quite understandable. For my own gardens use, maybe 6
times a year, then the Ryobis would be on my list to look at.

I've also got a quality electric hedge trimmer - a Viking HE615. Using
this is a revelation compared to cheap hedge trimmers. It is so
lightweight, balanced and powerful. the downside is the electric cable
dangling from it, which, although I like to think I'm quite capable, and
aware of things, I cut through it once. For garden use, where access to
a long extension lead is available, then I dont think you could get
better than that one.
HTH
Alan.