Posted to alt.home.repair
DemoDisk DemoDisk is offline

Default Re-Carpeting Grief

Hi, all.

I'm new here and hope to learn a lot about mending and maintaining our
small house.

First off, I had the place re-carpeted in March. Afterward, I kept
finding stubby nails around the house. Putting the telephone cord back
between the baseboard and carpet, I discovered a gap under the carpet at
the back door threshold. The edge of the foundation was crumbled there,
and the carpet concealed it.

The store had hired a couple... kids... to do the whole job, move stuff
and install the carpet, and I think the older one had installed
carpeting strips around the edge of the rooms with *masonry nails* !!!
I can't say for sure that he damaged it, and I can't see how much damage
there is without pulling all the carpet edges up.

So, my questions are...

1. Is that a common way to install carpeting?

2. Is this something I can live with -- should I worry about it or
forget it?

3. Is there any way to repair these edges?

Thanks for your attention and ideas.
JPM