Posted to alt.home.repair
Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov is offline

Default Pergo laminate floors: Lowe's vs. Home Depot

On Sat, 24 May 2008 22:55:53 -0400, Ray K wrote:

My original plan was to go with engineered hardwood, but Consumer's
Report's tests showed that laminates are superior to regular and
engineered hardwood with regard to dents and scratches.

True it's tougher, but we put down a laminate similar to Pergo and hated it.
Biggest complaunt was the noise reflection and the noise from the dogs walking
on it. It was also very hard to clean, to our satisfaction. We tried numerous
products but it always had a dull lustre is spots. A clean wet towel (water
0nly) was the onlt thing that would leave a good look to the floor.

On the next house we did a hardowwd and found it to be much better. Both quiter
and easier to clean. IMO, the Pergo must be so dammed hard it's a perfect sound
reflector. The hardwood is apparently a bit softer and attenuates the
reflections. I compare it to running on concrete versus running on asphalt. Both
would hurt lke hell if you smacked you noggin on them, but the asphalt has just
enough give to be easier on the feet.

If I was installing in prep for a sale, I'd use the laminate. If I was staying
and wanted beauty, I'd use the hardwood.

YMMV