Posted to alt.home.repair
Comboverfish Comboverfish is offline

Default Stop valve or ball valve?

On May 25, 6:53*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Comboverfish" wrote in message
*unfortunately they are gate
valves, and by design they leak somewhat in fully closed position.

Wow, that's good information. I never knew some valves were designed to
leak. *Can you tell us more about the reasoning behing that intended
leaking. *When do I specify a leaking valve versus a non-leaking valve?

DAGS on gate valves. Tell my one year old valve (that I installed
with the guts removed to save them from heat damage during soldering)
that it shouldn't leak. Explain to it that even though it has only
been fully open twice and fully closed twice that it should still hold
water and not drip at a rate of about 1 gallon a day.

That should set the real world straight; a good explanation. Maybe
B&K/Mueller makes crappy valves. I'm not going to take another chance
after what I've seen and read.