Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Bubbling Basement Toilet

If your section has to be snaked, and roots cut, I suggest the use of
copper sulfate crystals.
This time of the year the roots are really moving, this is the time
drop a couple into the commode in the evening, let them go into
solution, then flush it the next morning. Help the dissolve process
by
shattering a crystal before dropping it in the water.
You may be able to keep roots from being a problem after a root-
cutting down the pipe, without replacing the line. And it doesn't kill
the tree or bushes.
http://www.eco-nomic.com/pix/Tree%20Root%20Control.pdf

On May 24, 10:29 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's kind of what I thought. Now I just have to figure out if the
obstruction is in my section of pipe or the town's.

In years past whenever we had a backup, the town would snake from my
interior clean-out to the street and every time the clog was well out
into the town's section of pipe. A few years ago they replaced the
town's section with PVC and put a clean-out in the front yard so they
wouldn't have to come into the house anymore.

Now that the town's section is less than 5YO PVC and mine is still
cast iron, are the odds greater that the obstruction is in my section
- (i.e. my cost)?

Thanks again.