Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Garage Upgrade - Climate Control

On May 25, 5:45*am, Rob wrote:
I am inheriting a very good condition 1960's Buick convertible. I have a
two car detached garage already waiting to be the car's new home, but
the garage is not heated or climate controlled. It is a 1940's frame
garage with asphalt shingle roof with stud walls and a poured cement
floor. It is already wired for electricity with lights and outlets.
Overall the garage is in very good condition, but I do notice that is is
somewhat damp inside and this concerns me for maintaining the car in a
good condition in a relatively dry storage environment.

My question is what will need to be done to such a building so that I
can keep the car in it in a relatively controlled environment? I assume
the walls need to be lined with a tyvex type sealer, and insulation
added *in the walls and in the eaves? In addition, currently there is no
ventilation at the roofline which I think will need to be addressed.

Finally, any suggestions for heating source? I assume the temp just
needs to stay at 50 or above in the winter.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I has a 54 Buick stored , the only thing I noticed in an unheated
humid garage was exhaust system rust, I think the concrete was always
damp, maybe putting a sheet of thick plastic under the car would have
helped a dehumidifier would be good but get one that doesnt freeze at
68f, it isnt the temp that kills metal its moisture in the air.