Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default sharpening wheels

don't enlarge the hole, you risk fracturing the wheel and that's dangerous.
Why do you think you need to use the balancer? is the wheel defective in
some way? if it is not, maybe you should consider using it without the
balancer. You will notice that professional machine shops, etc DO NOT use
these balancers - so that suggests to me that they are one of those things
sold to folks who don't really need them

I have used a cheap (or worn out) diamond impregnated saw blade to shape a
grindstone - you can hold it against the face to get it round, and if there
is any wobble, you can trim the sides - at which point the wheel is running
true and at least in my experience, without vibration.

If you want to throw away the wheel, I'm sure that there are folks on this
NG and others that will be pleased to take it from you

"cosmoman3" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is a way to enlarge a hole from 5/8" to 1"
on a grinding wheel? I have a brand new Norton sg wheel that has a
5/8" hole I would like to use the oneway balancer on it however it has
to be 1" Sure hate to throw this wheel out as it costs about $100
Thanks for any help anyone can provide