Posted to alt.home.repair
Comboverfish Comboverfish is offline

Default Stop valve or ball valve?

Hi,
I was hoping some of you could shed personal opinion on my decision
to buy either stop or ball valves for the below detailed purpose.
I have/had several previously installed sillcocks in our house that
have no shutoff valves ahead of them. One of them froze and burst
last year so I went out and grabbed the first water flow control
valves I could find at the HW store, unfortunately they are gate
valves, and by design they leak somewhat in fully closed position.
Now I want to replace them with something that will work 100%.
Here's
the quandary:

With a rubber sealed type stop valve I could take out the mechanism
and repair it for many years to come, but in theory they restrict
flow
somewhat.

With a Ball valve, they don't restrict flow as much, but are not
serviceable (the ones I've seen) short of desolder/replace. Added
bonus is the 1/4 turn ease.

The application is outdoor water faucets, where I run 75 foot hoses
on
each one, and in some cases 150 ft for short term use.

Do you think that the extra restriction of a stop valve would amount
to anything significant or noticeable? Right now water supply at the
hose(s) is adequate. Serviceability and restriction are my two
highest priorities.

Thanks for your help.