Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray K Ray K is offline

Default Pergo laminate floors: Lowe's vs. Home Depot

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ray K" wrote in message

Ignoring any special promotions or discounts for opening a credit card,
can anyone see a reason (related to the quality of the product) to buy the
more expensive Lowe's product?

Why not try a floor covering dealer to see what they have? I bought some
engineered hardwood at a great price from a local dealer less than a mile
from my house. They can beat HD or Lowes any day. And have a better
selection.

My original plan was to go with engineered hardwood, but Consumer's
Report's tests showed that laminates are superior to regular and
engineered hardwood with regard to dents and scratches.

A HD salesman made a very vivid impression on me. He took his car key
and scraped across an engineered hardwood sample. The finish was
damaged. He did the same with a Pergo sample - not a hint of damage. The
difference was very dramatic.

I did try a local store; no bargains. What did impress me was a Bruce
laminate that was about 1/2" thick. Very quiet when you walk on it, even
without a foam underlayment. But I didn't care for some aspects of the
appearance. So I'll go with the Pergo Prestige. It has the nice higher
gloss I prefer, and it comes in the oak appearances I like.