Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] Dan_Thomas_nospam@yahoo.com is offline

Default Do you wear Shorts while Working?

On May 21, 4:06 pm, Wes wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

Sadly I think the ghetto blasters are 8 ohms or I'd be doing it.

When the offender isn't around, poke a small hole in the
paper dome over the speaker coil and squirt a little superglue in
there. Removes all the bass and most of the treble. I've used that to
good effect. Another guy had a radio that made way too much noise, so
I opened it and twisted one of the transistors so the leads shorted.
The twit found it, believe it or not, even though he had no clue about
electronics. I got serious with the next one, smashed it flat in the
hydraulic press. Ran another through the pressure cabinet washer; 180-
degree caustic washes all the music out of a radio. On another, I
tuned it to the classical-music station and superglued the tuning
mechanism to that spot.
These and many other tricks escalated to fantastic levels at one
point, but we were sure having fun. I noticed that production was up
when we had fun, and told the boss I (as shop foreman) was going to
allow it to continue, within reason. He didn't like that. Had no sense
of humor. Production and morale fell off after I left, they told me.
Nobody ever got hurt through those 12 years of playfulness.
I could have written a thick book on all the practical jokes we
played. I can just see OSHA trying to get it pulled off the bookstore
shelves.

Dan