Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default OT - Can car batteries suddenly die?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
wrote:

I lent my car to my sister who had to call out a mechanic when the car
battery died, he said they can suddenly fail and sold her another one.

A mechanic in our place happened to mention that newer batteries can
and very frequently DO fail in this manner after replacing mine -
although I don't know the reasons why.

IIRC, something to do with the calcium technology used these days.

That is what my garage told me when my petrol Rover 45 would not even
turn the starter motor. I had left it standing for 10 days, until I
could give it a run. I put it on charge for 48 hours and it didn't take
any energy out of the charger. The battery was only 3 years old. It was
this incident that taught me that you can't expect a calcium technology
batter to recover from going flat.

Dave