Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Dado width

asmurff wrote:

DadiOH I do use my head which is why I asked here, I thought there
might be a pat answer to the question, if there isn't I'm more than
willing to listen to the group but don't insult me.

1. I gave you a perfectly acceptable answer

2. I wasn't trying to insult you - ergo the smiley - but was pointing out
that you could have easily and (most) effectively answered your question for
yourself.
___________

Pat Answers
Ah, yes...the pat answer...the be all and end all of existence.
Unfortunately, there is rarely a pat answer to anything other than "it
depends".

In your case, it depended on the type and quality of the plywood, how tight
you wanted the dado/tongue to be, how long they were to be and what you
meant by "Is 1/32" wider than the plywood thickness enough." Enough for
what? To put together? To stand without support? To glue well?

In my case, I want what I think of as a "snick" fit; the tongue goes into
the dado easily with moderate pressure, doesn't wobble and when separating
the pieces there is sort of a "snick" feel/sound...sort of like popping your
cheek with a finger And no, I can't better describe it. Trouble is, a fit
that is fine on, say, a 4" dado/tongue probably won't be if the dado/tongue
is 30"...it will probably feel too tight. It would probably be OK if I
slightly beveled the edges of the tongue - which I regularly do either with
a small plane or a four-in-hand file depending on the material - but even
then it will likely take considerable pressure to get the tongue into the
groove/dado.

Tom Watson gave you a nice way to make a tongue that is reasonably precise
in size. Works most of the time; however, it would be very difficult to
impossible to cut a tongue in that manner on the four foot end of a sheet of
4x8 foot plywood. Or on the short end a 1x6 foot one either
______________

I think most people that have read newsgroups - ANY newsgroup - for a while
would agree that many of the questions could easily and more effectively be
answered by the poster if s/he only thought about it for a moment and/or
drew on their empirical experience.

That doesn't mean I don't think people *shouldn't* ask questions - many
times the asking provides answers that are useful though not necessarily
germane - merely that they could often work out a solution for themselves
and in so doing they have a solution (and brain exercise) that can be
modified for use in other circumstances.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...