Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PhattyMo[_2_] PhattyMo[_2_] is offline

Default Putting a Chrysler car radio in a Ford

wrote:
Believe it or not, about 30 years ago I worked in a car stereo
installation shop as well as a CB radio installer. Back then, we had
to manually connect each wire.

Times sure have changed, but I'm not sure if this is for the good.
I just bought a factory car radio from a garage sale. It has a built
in radio, tape player, amplifier, equalizer and clock. The sellers
said they bought the car new, and had a CD player installed a few
months later. I can see the radio is nearly new. I did not get the
year or model of chrysler from them.

The problem is that these newer radios all have plugins, which are
part of the vehicle. It might be easy to plug them into the proper
vehicle, but not any other vehicle.

I saw on the web that there are adaptors, but how do I know what to
get? Here's what I got. It's from a newer chrysler or unknown model
and year. (Probably the 90's because after that they pretty much
abandoned tape pleyers in favor of CDs).
I want to put it in a 1990 Ford F150 pickup, because the current radio
and clock are dead. I'm not worried about physical mounting, I'll
make it fit. But how to wire it ?????

There are 2 plugs on the rear. Both have SIX pins. One plug is +12V,
GND, Clock, Lights, and ? something else. (It's out in the garage and
I dont feel like going out there). The other plug has all speaker
wires for FOUR speakers (I will only need Two speakers in a pickup).
Each plug pin is labelled.

I could probably solder a wire to each pin and hand wire it into the
truck, and that is likely what I may have to do. But my reason for
posting this is to find out if anyone has any suggestions of an easier
way to do this. I dont want to spend much for this project, but if
they make a direct plug from Chrysler to Ford, and it's not too
costly, that would make the job easier.

From what I can see, I need +12, GND, Clock, and Lights on plug #1
and Left Spkr. Right Spkr, and one speaker common (gnd).
That's 7 out of 12 wires.

Any suggestions, please ???

Thanks

you could maybe look around online for an installation kit for a
mid-90's Chrysler,or Crutchfield.com might be able to give you some
wiring info.