Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Disaster waiting to happen? Using PVC for deck supports???

On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:56:33 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

We are discussing steel columns and
house fires. For all intents and purposes there is no burning of a
steel column. But feel free to continue the debate - let me know when
you feel you're winning.

I always win, or so my wife tells me. For some reason I have to
believe her--I think it is because she told me so.

That said...

Steel columns in a house fire are not an issue. The house will be long
gone before they fail.

What we *were* discussing was whether cement in a column (of any
composition) adds strength, and if so, how much, and as well why add
cement.

Cement is added to a Lally column to prevent collapse or pinching
failures. Who cares what happens when the steel softens to the point
of failure? The game's over at that point regardless, the house will
be long gone, and the failure of other members of the structure will
make any column's ability to withstand fire a non-issue.

But, what the heck, let's argue onwards.