Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark H Mark H is offline

Default 12 gauge - 14 gauge

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
On May 23, 5:10 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"pahidla" wrote in message

m...

I've installed a dedicated 20 amp circuit for a heater/fan/night light/
light combo. Naturally, I used 12 gauge wire to deliver the power to
the unit. But I am faced with this problem. There are four sets of
wires that need to run from the switch box to the unit which means a
total of five sets of wires which the box just won't take.

Is it OK if the unit is connected to the switch with 14 gauge wire. Or
if I use 12 gauge for the heater part and 14 guage for the rest?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

No, it's not OK, but you don't need four sets of wires, all you need is
six
wires including ground. I would get a length of 1/2" greenfield and run it
from the switch box to the fixture- Hide quoted text -

Thanks! (But what is "geenfield"?)

Greenfield is bx cable without the wires .You pull your own wires in the
same way as pipe .Also I would think about using 3/4"as the #12 wire will be
tight.