Posted to alt.home.repair
aussiblu aussiblu is offline

Default Railway ties oozing creosote

One of our State government Departments is recommending the use
of creosote here
http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/Ento/termites.htm (the
Agriculture Department of WA) so I doubt it is banned.
"Creosote can be an effective timber preservative, preventing
termite attack and wood rot. Protection depends upon the depth
of penetration. Simply brushing creosote on wood surfaces gives
little protection. Multiple applications by brush are better,
but preferably soak the timber in creosote for at least 48
hours. All cutting and hole boring should be completed before
soaking. Round fence posts of seasoned softwood timber, with
sapwood present and the bark removed, can be successfully
treated in a similar manner. "

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.