Phil Young

Default Leaking Washing Machine Drum

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 12:27:15 +0100, (Steve
Firth) wrote:

Tony Williams wrote:

I was given a tube of marine-quality silicone sealant.
It's a world away from the silicone sealants in the sheds.

Best to use somethign other than silicon. Polyurethane (Sikaflex) is
used extensively below the waterline on boats. Silicon isn't suitable
for continuous immersion.

Ones commonly recommended in uk.rec.sailign a

Adflex: available from builder's merchants in black, white or brown.
Sikaflex: Chandlers, wide range of colours
Arc-Loyal: MS-polymer, slower curing good underwater.
Polysulphide: cheap available at B&Q used for underwater joints (e.g.
keel to hull) no idea if it is any good at all for washing machines.
Nail and Seal' by EvoStick: MS polymer, cheapest available at £3.99 from
some B&Q stores.

Be careful if buying the Evo-Stick product they make many sealants with
similar names, and some are either silicon or acrylic neither of shich
is suitable.

Thanks for that, all good info for the future.

However, looking more closely, I think the silicone was more or less
working, but the drum has begun to rust through around the spot-welds
that attach the motor bracket. These are just under the element (very
small gap) and it looks as if 10 years of accumulated limescale and
gunk under the heater have kept the area wet.

I'll probably try getting the drum out for a laugh in any case, it
might be possible to weld on a repair section.

Anyway, working through that slot has given me a greater appreciation
of gynaecologists, so it's not a completely wasted effort. I think
I'll try and decorate the hall through the letterbox next.

Thanks,

Phil Young