Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

Default Great tools to use with rusty crap.

On Fri, 23 May 2008 04:40:57 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

The Mapp gas torch is my best buddy.

My smoke wrench has always been the acetylene torch and rose bud. I heat it
till the rust all burns black. Then after its cooled some I squirt WD-40 on.
Then try bolt/nut while still hot. My procedure has been by trial and error.
I've never seen how others do it.

How hot is hot 'nuff? Other things you do?

Karl

What's been said plus:------The other day I had to remove a large
square headed nut, rusted for decades. It took several wacks
from a large cold chisel on the sides plus penetrating oil to
loosen it up. 3# sledge on a 2' long chisel, strike the nut
along the bolts axis..one or more sides plus pair
of 24" pipe wrenches, old time barnyard mechanics....

Pump housing bolts ....can get interesting. Neat channel locks. ED