Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Disaster waiting to happen? Using PVC for deck supports???

wrote:
On May 22, 5:53 pm, George wrote:

CJT wrote:

wrote:

On May 20, 3:53 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

wrote in message

On May 20, 3:40 pm, CJT wrote:

CWatters wrote:

wrote in message
news:39j134h08gs30kb4kq0djaas296spst46m@4ax .com...

On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:28:48 -0400, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

said something like:

...[snip]...

The concrete in steel lolly columns is to help keep them from
collapsing in a fire.

....so the preventing a dent thing is secondary, or not a
concern...?

No, preventing buckling is a significant advantage provided by
filling
steel column.

Matt

Uh, yes. And the buckling it prevents would be the result of fire.
Filling
the
columns with cement is to protect the columns from buckling in a
FIRE.

PVC burns doesn't it?

So does steel.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .-
Hide
quoted text -

Steel burns? I guess I learned something new today.

============

Anything will burn at the right temp.- Hide quoted text -

So there's no difference between burning and melting?

Sure there is. Steel will do either (or both) depending on the conditions.

Exactly, the perfect example is to consider what is actually happening
when you squeeze the lever on a cutting torch.- Hide quoted text -

That, imho, is a perfect example of melting, not "burning"

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...6/gen06008.htm

some of it does indeed burn. if you don't believe me, hold a match
under a wad of 0000 steel wool. Outside, or in a deep sink...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel