Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default OT Re Harbor freight lathe

All I've ever needed to place a bid reliably (on dialup, in western PA)
accurately, within the last 8-5 seconds of an auction, was a $8 to 10
digital countdown timer.
This way, it doesn't matter if your clock time matches eBay's clock.

As the end is nearing (last 10-15 minutes, or sooner), I sync the timer's
remaining time to the actual amount of time remaining.
The important thing to do is to get the time synchronized for the *very
instant* that you click refresh (not including the time it takes for the
screen to refresh).

It's convenient if the countdown timer has the ability to be stopped, then
resume counting down, to get the actual remaining time equalized.
This works well by starting with a little more time on the countdown timer,
then pausing the countdown to match the actual time remaining.

Of course, this only works well if you're willing to be at the computer
during the end of the auction.
I can't recall having any problems that seemed like overloaded network
traffic/activity, but I suppose that could happen.

This is the only method I've used, for years now, and it is reliable. It's
just as easy to confirm the bid at 3 seconds, as it is to do it at 8, 12 or
any other lead time.
I generally allow a plus-one-second margin of error, as a safe measure.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Wes" wrote in message

Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my
adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got
an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller