Dave Plowman

Default New Electrical Regs - Again

In article ,
wrote:
This kind of incentive to over-strict application of regulations, and
folk extension of their scope and meaning, is a peril which seems very
rarely addressed by "self-certifying" trade body regulation schemes.
Self-regulation has a natural bound where the cost of over-compliance
lies with those being regulated; where such costs fall on the
*customers* of those responsible for interpreting the regs "on the
ground", the dangers of creating inappropriate incentives are
considerable. Any carry-over to the forthcoming role of the NICEIC for
domestic electrical installation is left to the imagination (which rules
out most of the junior ministers, then ;-)

My neighbour, a widow, was told most emphatically by the chap that
services her water heater - I assume CORGI registered - that her electric
cooker could only be replaced by a registered tradesman. This *might* be
the case with a gas one, so he simply transferred this rule to include all
cookers. And she believes him rather than me. ;-)

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn