Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Play Button Sony Cassette Boombox (CFD-G500) Broken

Michael wrote in message
One button on an otherwise descent cassette/radio/CD Player is broken
(first it wouldn't stay "down" to Play cassette, now it's jammed
down).

Called Sony with what I thought was a simple question: give me a local
(South Jersey) Sony authorized repair place.

No such thing according to Sony--either ship it to them in Texas for
repair or refurbish (either way at a cost of close to $100 including
shipping) or buy the new model.

I hope this is the right group to ask: is the (mechanical?) repair of
one button on a cassette player feasible? Approx cost? And how the
heck do I find a local facility where I can walk in with the box, show
them the broken play button problem problem, get a price and then get
it repaired at a reasonable cost?

Or must I buy the "new" model?

The rest of the device and its other functions work fine. This
happened after only 2 1/2 years of average/moderate use.

Thanks for any guidance or even empathy!!!

Michael

Cherry Hill, New Jersey (near Philly)

Some cassette repair fixes including jammed button symptom on my file
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repair3.htm

--
General electronic repairs, most things repaired, other than TVs and PCs
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repairs.htm

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England