Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cerberus . Cerberus . is offline

Default Timber, where

On Wed, 21 May 2008 20:15:26 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

Just bought a pile of timber from a shed due to needing it right
away. Bleepin ell the cost. Anyone recommend any ways to get timber
for less than usual? Dont have any tees to saw .

Scary huh!

Of the sheds, Wickes is usually slightly cheaper than most of the
others (if you don't mind banana wood!). A timber merchant will
sometimes be a bit cheaper again though[1].

[1] Potentially quite a bit cheaper if you are buying in quantity.

Hi John

Yes, I went to wickes as its the cheapest of them by a fair way,
sorted through the bananas, but the total at the till was still eye

What do the sheds actually *do* with the bent rubbish? Every time I go to
buy a lump of timber I have to search past a load of boomerangs which
nobody's going to buy, so they must periodically burn it or something?

It never fails to amaze me what the 'sheds' do skip. A couple of years ago
I was with a builder friend who'd noticed that several sheets of floor
grade chipboard had been skipped. He asked the manager if he could help
himself & was told to take whatever he wanted. My friend was a very happy
bunny, he salvaged several sheets of chipboard, plywood, PSE timber which
had formed some sort of display in the store & numerous electrical tools
(several of which he managed to repair).

Don.