Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Timber, where

stuart noble wrote:
George wrote:
wrote in message
Hi

Just bought a pile of timber from a shed due to needing it right away.
Bleepin ell the cost. Anyone recommend any ways to get timber for less
than usual? Dont have any tees to saw .

NT

Ya have the metric change to blame for that ie to get 2ft of a piece
timber
these days you have to buy 1metre whereas before the change you asked
for 2'
of it and you got what you asked for.

See what ebays prices are,bearing in mind most is pick-up only.

put 'timber' in ebays search engine.

Construction timber (spruce/fir) is a hell of a lot cheaper than
redwood, and IME it's pretty dry and stable these days. There are limits
to what it can be used for, but not that many. I think merchants are
beginning to stock it in a bigger range of sizes.

IMO you can forget the sheds for timber. They simply don't have the
facilities to store it. The store is too dry and the garden department
too wet. They might as well own up and admit that the shrink wrapped
compromise isn't working.

I am in the process of constructing several compost bins, not wanting to
spend much money I noticed a house being built near me had a load of
timber piled up that looked scrap. I had a word with the builder who
said that it was for burning take what you want. Loads of, what I
consider good timber, though lots of nails to remove. Several pallets,
which brings me to the next point, there is a chap in a nearby town who
builds and sells sheds out of scrap pallets.