Posted to uk.d-i-y
Maris Maris is offline

Default How to prop up floor joists

On Wed, 21 May 2008 00:51:28 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

Thank you for this very detailed suggestion Chris. I'll try
diggindigging down to see if i find concrete or earth. I already
removed a lot of old rubble and 1960s cigarette packets etc. I
suspect the underneath of the houses was used as a dump by the
builders for old materials and that there may well be a conrete layer
a little further down. Clearly a form bedding is needed for whatever
solution I adopt.

The span is about 15 feet. ironically the style of housing is called
"Span House". Here's an example of the type of house (though mine has
a pitched roof on it and looks much nicer).

http://www.propertyfinder.com/cgi-bi...o&id=502649078

Robert

Oh dear, Eric Lyons will be turning in his grave. His best know
development in partnership with Span was New Ash Green. So it's not
just the concrete monstrosities by the likes of the Smithsons in the
fifties that have problems :-(

Maris