Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Ferguson Bruce Ferguson is offline

Default Drying finished wood

This is not an answer to the finishing question but a suggestion about
your "nail board". I went to Home Depot and in the framing material
section they have all kinds of brackets and straps to hold joists ect.
I found some straps that have small spikes on one side and smooth on the
other. I think they are used across were wood joins. Any ways I
stapled a couple to a piece of plywood with the spikes up and use that
for different finishing projects. Quick and cheap.

Bruce

tww wrote:
This has never been a problem in the past since I only used mineral or
walnut oil for the most part but when you put shellac on an unfinished
bowl you have to put the wet bowl some place to let it dry. If you
put it on newspaper when it is dry you will probably have a bowl with
newspaper stuck to the bottom. I assume a wet bowl put on a board
would end up with a defective bottom as well.

I thought about taking a 1" board and pounding nails through it and
turning it upside down so the wet bowls would sit on a bed of nails
and only have very small places where the finish would not dry right
away.

How do the people in this group dry things without leaving defective
places on the bottom?