Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default Changing rotation on electric motor

Andy Asberry wrote:
The three horse motor on my compressor died. I've had this big 5.5 hp
Marathon for just such an occasion. It is 230v 1ph 215T frame (if that
matters).

I've downloaded Marathon's installation and operation manual. Under
changing rotation, it says follow the diagram on the motor. Surprise,
surprise. No diagram. All wires are numbered. It is currently running
CW.

Any help from the gallery? I have new breakers!

--Andy Asberry--

Andy,

If you do not have any of the leads labeled you can still reverse the rotation. Take an
ohm meter (anything to check continuity) and determine which leads complete a circuit. On
a single voltage motor you should only have four wires for the two windings.

In your case reverse either set of wires as it will effectively have reversed the other,
electrically.

Al