Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

Default Stumped on home repair of GFCI circuit all dead after light repair

In article ,
Donna wrote:
I'm stumped. I need your help. And, worse yet, I don't have much to tell
you. And, it's hard to explain. But I'll try as I'm not sure what to do
next.

- I have a dead circuit in my house (6 outlets in toto)
- The dead circuit "seems" to have gone dead after I put a bathroom
switches in but I don't remember exactly when it went dead
- The bathroom timed-light switch works perfectly fine though, so I don't
see how they could be the source of the problem

If the downstream outlets were wired through the box it's in, and you
didn't get the downstream segment hot or neutral reconected correctly,
it could be.

- All the house circut breakers have been set and reset scores of times
- The circuit that is dead contains GCFI boxes and regular outlets
- Specifically, the dead circuit contains 6 outlets, all dead
a) bathroom 1 GCFI outlet (dead)
b) bathroom 2 GCFI outlet (dead)
c) bedroom 1 GCFI outlet (dead)

Go to each of the GFCIs and press the "reset" button. If one clicks, you
are closer to the problem. If it pops back out when you turn on the
newly-installed switch, the switch wiring isn't right.

When I put a circuit tester into each of the dead outlets, nothing lights
up. [ ... ]

Are you using one of the two-probe testers with a single light, or one of
the three-pin three-light type that looks like a three-pin plug? The three
pin type will tell you if you have an open neutral, assuming your wiring
is grounded.

What more information can I provide so you can help me debug why I have
these dead circuits? I'm sorry this is so frustrating but I don't know what
to do for the next step. I'd take pictures but I don't know what to take a
picture of for you.

Re-examine the bathroom switch wiring, if resetting the GFCIs does not
clear up the problem.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"a member or members of Osama bin Ladens' Al Qaeda network, posing as