Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rgoldste@gmail.com is offline

Default Oil vs. gas heat in this scenario?

On May 19, 8:27 pm, Banty wrote:
In article , Paul M. Eldridge
says...

On 19 May 2008 15:22:50 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article , Paul M. Eldridge
says...

On 19 May 2008 10:49:54 -0700, Banty wrote:

I have oil heat (sticking with it since we don't get gas here; I'd have to do
another tank), but in that scenario I'd probably go with the gas. For one
thing, I haven't seen any oil-fired inline water heaters. Unless someone here
can point me to one..

Banty

Hi Banty,

For a general overview on water heating options, click on the "Hot
Water Answers" link he

http://www.conservens.ca/enerinfo/enerInfopublications

And although the pricing data may not be relevant to you, this table
could still be of some interest:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/energy/AbsPage....&siteid=1Ω=1

OK - one source doesn't mention direct heat; the other only gas-fired direct
heat.

Why are there no oil-fired direct heaters?

Banty

Hi Banty,

I don't know of any myself. I'm familiar with direct-fired natural
gas and propane units such as this:

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...heets/557B.pdf

but none made for oil. Perhaps the market is deemed too small for a
low-volume product like this (and with home heating oil selling at
$4.25+ a gallon, it's likely to contract a whole lot further).

I don't know about that - there's a huge installed base of oil-fired furnaces
and boilers, especially here in the northeast US, many (like mine) in places
without gas service. Plus, gas and oil have a history of see-sawing as far as
prices. There's lots of people around to tell woes of converting one way or the
other based on then-current prices, only to be burned.

Since these are reputed to be so efficiant, the oil prices should have customers
lining up.

Banty

No one in this discussion has mentioned the current price of oil ,
$3.60 / gallon/140,000 btus
vs gas which is now $1.30/therm/100,00 btus. The cost per therm of oil
right now is twice the cost per therm of gas in my area. One solution
is run the oil tank dry. Then check the prices of oil vs gas. If there
is still a great discrepancy and the boiler is in good shape, then
replace the oil burner with a conversion gas burner. It is a quick
job(I am told about 2 hours) if the gas pipe is nearby. BTW the cost
of this burner is around $850.
Richard