Posted to alt.home.repair
Mamba Mamba is offline

Default Railway ties oozing creosote

"Red" wrote in message
On May 19, 3:36 pm, "Mamba" wrote:

You do know that creosote is now listed as toxic and is a restricted
use product, right?

Red

---------------
Well, they were resold to me by the local farm supply store in rural WA. I
certainly wouldn't buy them again, for my current reasons and because of the
environmental issues. Some of my bunch are perhaps older, as they seem bone
dry on the outside. They were used in full length as borders for the steps.
Some are quite smooth on the outside, and these are the ones I selected to
use as risers - they are also the ones with the "surface" creosote. Sadly,
I now have this 50' walkway with uniform ties as borders and step risders,
and 4 or 5 of them will need a different treatment. It was looking pretty
good too.

As an aside on this, wonder if there's any restrictions on the sale of the
old ones they tear up. I drive past a BNSF fail yard every weekend, and
they have stacks of them (hundreds, maybe thousands) with a big "4 sale"
sign painted on the side. Sure hope nobody would try to use them for a
cheap dock or anything like that.