Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Railway ties oozing creosote

Mamba wrote:

I foolishly used some old RR ties as risers in a landscaping walkway. With
the hot sun this past weekend, old tars starting softening on the surface,
and folks tracked creosote up onto my deck. I can sand it off the deck, but
is there any way to treat the surface of these ties to prevent this?
Tearing up the risers would be somewhere between inconvenient and really
hard.

Tnx

Visit your materials place and get a bucket of stone dust. Apply a thick
layer of stone dust on the ties while they're hot and oozing. Pretty
much the same idea as the chip seal they do on roads.