Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Anyone have experience w/Harbor Freight sandblasters?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 5/16/2008 3:01 PM charlie spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Is it this one, or similar? (This one's a 40 lb. unit, same price):

this is the one i use on glass and knocking the rust off of metals. you
can also get the grit necessary at HF. use AlO. don't use sand or silica.
use a minimum of a p95 mask, unless you like silicosis and not being able
to breath.

Your application sounds a lot lighter than mine. We need to get a lot of
old paint and rust off the underside of some metal & concrete stairs.
Would that grit be sufficient for that? Someone else in this thread didn't
seem to think so.

And yes, I intend to wear a mask (I have a respirator).

well, i can blow holes in 1/2" glass pretty easily, especially if i use a
large grit size. paint and rust are a lot softer than that. however i do all
of my work in a blast cabinet, which is not something you're going to be
able to do. you're going to need to recover grit in some fashion.

it would be better to hire this job out to someone who has the tools and
know-how to use them onsite.