Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default external data cable

On Mon, 19 May 2008 04:15:02 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj
wrote this:-

also bothbuildingsrun off the same
transformer and are about 10m away from each other - surely it
shouldnt be this hard to link them

I find this statement difficult to reconcile with your earlier one
that, "The route i would like to take requires digging a trench and
the total cable distance comes to about 70m inluding going around
walls etc."

the majority of the distance is inside - the two switches are at the
furthest end away from each other of each building (does that make
sense?!).

I see. In that case it may make sense to adopt a mixed solution,
with internal cables going to the walls nearest to the other
building and something else to bridge the gap.

What does the gap consist of? How easy would it be to dig something
under the ground? Are there any obstructions to a radio link using
directional aerials?

How easy would it be to run a data cable through each building,
perhaps in a loft?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh