Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default external data cable

In article
s.com, scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:

Wonder how broadcasting got round this in the old days - all lines
between building were copper. And indeed around the country.

In the real Old Days (TM) they used valves, so no problem.

True - but transistors were around for a long time while the majority of
landlines etc were still copper twisted pairs. Indeed, most of our houses
are still connected to the local telephone exchange in this way.

I gather that when the USAnians started trying to make their military
electronics EMP-proof so that they could chuck nukes around and still
keep flying etc, they found that the Soviets were way ahead of them: the
MiGs etc used miniature valves in their avionics!

I can remember Russia selling valve equipment for the domestic market long
after solid state had become the norm - and at the bottom end of it too.
Guess they had factories they just had to keep employed. ;-)

AIUI The soviet bloc never abandoned valves like we did. I forget the
reasons why.

They stand up much better to the effects of EMP
(Electro Magnetic Pulse) from nuclear explosions..

--
Tony Sayer