Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default external data cable

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:57:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj
wrote this:-

also both buildings run off the same
transformer and are about 10m away from each other - surely it
shouldnt be this hard to link them

It isn't hard. Four ways of doing so have been offered; radio,
fibre, internal grade twisted pair protected by a duct and outdoor
grade twisted pair. There are others but one of those four should be
suitable and all should work. All have their particular strengths
and weaknesses, which the sensible have put forward arguments for
and against.

It is up to you to consider all this information/opinion and decide
for yourself. Only you know the two buildings.

I know how I have linked two buildings 10m apart (and it is not the
way some of the usual suspects may imagine), but I may have come to
a different solution if looking at your two buildings.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh