Posted to rec.woodworking
randyswoodshoop randyswoodshoop is offline

Default Strength of wood

On May 18, 6:42*pm, wayne wrote:
Hi

Can anyone help me rank in terms of resistance to moisture, strength,
or durability, which is best. I am choosing a knife handle but is
unfamiliar with the woods quality. which is usally the most dense?

thanks

oak
hickory
beech
walnut
olive wood

thanks

Hi,
ANy of the woods you have listed abve will work for a nice handle. Of
the woods listed, Walnut will make the most attractive and will wear
well. If you finish the handle with polyurthane there will be no
mositure problem.
Oak, will be somewhat moisture resistand and is a very strong wood.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com