Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Jay R Jay R is offline

Default Joining pergola rafters together

I used a router to run a groove the length of the top of the cross stringers
wide enough to take a cut down 2 x 4.

I set the 2 x 4 in it and then cut dado's in the cross pieces.

I still put scres in but went in through the 2 x 4 and into the dado.

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
As I progress (slowly) on the design of the pergola I'm putting in my back
yard, and as I get to the point where I'm stacking the criss-crossing
rafters together, the thought crossed my mind that instead of toe-nailing
them together or driving screws down at an angle (or using those ugly
galvanized metal brackets), couldn't I drill 3/4" holes and use dowels and
glue to fasten them together? Dumb idea? If not, what kind of glue would
you use? Titebond III? I'm using untreated Western Red Cedar, BTW.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.