Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Obamas plans for the US

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Hawke" wrote in message

snip

Believe me, you're a mile off base about George Will. And I won't
argue your positions on Reagan. I will, however, form my own opinions
about him.

I was watching Will, Peggy Noonan, Shrum and Murphy this morning Ed and at
one point, as Noonan was speaking, George's countenance was overcome with
what could be politely called a look of disdain. He didn't have that " I
just smelled a fart" look at all. It was as if he was thinking that she'd
completely lost her faculties and ought just shut up rather than attempt
be insightful or witty.
I know Peggy's world locked into place the day before RR left office but
she's really out of it, or was today.
I'm wondering if she hasn't some health problem. I think Will might have
been wondering the same thing. He really doesn't suffer fools easily does
he?

HAHAHA! Oh, as soon as I started reading this, that's what I thought I'd
mention. g No, he doesn't suffer fools easily, nor anyone who he thinks is
doing less than his best thinking at any moment. Because Will, himself,
never lets up.

I'm glad you mentioned that about Peggy Noonan. Now there's something I
share with her. I've been on the receiving end of that withering look of
disdain more than once.

Tell me something, if you can. In your experience with him, how many times
did he bring you up short as if you'd completely missed the obvious and
then
take the time to "straighten" you out?

That's two questions. How many times did he bring me up short like that?
Maybe a half-dozen. Take the time to straighten me out? Never. I was on my
own to figure it out.

One of the things I've always respected about him was that he doesn't just
go around throwing bombs. He throws the bomb but then usually takes the
time
to explain himself and his is a fine mind.

He'll do that explaining in print or in that kind of environment. He was an
outstanding lecturer -- probably the best I ever had. He answered questions
with great care in the classroom. But in one-on-one, you had to keep up with
him or you were toast.

He does have a fine mind. I think he was 23 when he got his PhD at
Princeton, after an MA at Oxford. He didn't just jam together a PhD program
and skip the masters, but he still made it all by age 23.

--
Ed Huntress