Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Disaster waiting to happen? Using PVC for deck supports???

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

There was a person I was speaking to recently who was proud of what he
considered to be a very bright move on his part.

He had noticed that the lolly-columns in his basement had been filled with
cement prior to being used. He assumed that the strength of the support was
in the cement, and therefore concluded it was a good idea to try filling PVC
tubes and using those as posts (note-not as sonno-tubes, but as fully
structural support posts).

I pointed out that I thought that the strength of a lolly was in the steel,
and that the cement was there merely to ensure that it was never dented,
causing it to fold like an aluminum can. I was concerned that the first
major frost heave under his deck that is able to stress the ledger enough to
pull outward a small amount would cause his pvc+cement "posts" to break.

Was I right?

There are code approved PVC pipe based deck support columns available.
The compressive strength of PVC pipe is tremendous as long as you keep
it from buckling. I once tested a 1' length of 4" sch40 PVC pipe in a
hydraulic press and it too over 30 tons of force before it started to
fail (Enerpac press with pressure gauge). The compressive strength of
concrete is also very high. Combined strength is more than adequate and
PVC handles cold pretty well also.