Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default Disaster waiting to happen? Using PVC for deck supports???

curt said something like:
On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:36:06 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

I think you're right that there's cause for concern, I think you're
wrong about the failure mechanism unless the footings are seriously
sub-standard, and I think there's a lot of information left out. The
diameter of the PVC, whether it's Schedule 40 or 80 or even the thin
stuff that they use for drainage, how deep the footings are, how high
above grade the deck is, etc.

If I remember correctly, Schedule 80 is called for on all deck support
posts.

Implication question: Is PVC meeting schedule-80 requirements considered
acceptable for deck supports?