Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Disaster waiting to happen? Using PVC for deck supports???

It probably depends on the diameter of the PVC tube. A 3" or 4" will not
have much strength, especially if there is not a continuous large diameter
re-bar down the middle. I can see the PVC cracking in cold weather,
particularly if the top is able to soak up some water that freezes.

A 6" or 8" PVC tube with three or four re-bars, probably would be no more
than a vinyl coated concrete column, and look good compared to bare
concrete. The concrete will take most of the load. I can see the same
problems with freezing water however. It could be difficult to make a
connection with the foundation unless the post is run all the way down to
the footing.

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:ib_Xj.134$ay2.84@trndny01...

There was a person I was speaking to recently who was proud of what he
considered to be a very bright move on his part.

He had noticed that the lolly-columns in his basement had been filled with
cement prior to being used. He assumed that the strength of the support
was in the cement, and therefore concluded it was a good idea to try
filling PVC tubes and using those as posts (note-not as sonno-tubes, but
as fully structural support posts).

I pointed out that I thought that the strength of a lolly was in the
steel, and that the cement was there merely to ensure that it was never
dented, causing it to fold like an aluminum can. I was concerned that the
first major frost heave under his deck that is able to stress the ledger
enough to pull outward a small amount would cause his pvc+cement "posts"
to break.

Was I right?