Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default external data cable

On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:53:25 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj
wrote this:-

I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.

A distance of say 40m in a straight line between buildings is not
good for connecting by copper data cables, for the reasons others
have given. There are precautions which can be taken, but these add
to the cost.

If against this advice you really want to do it then I suggest
http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51540.
This could be buried in the ground, at a suitable depth, with
protection against rodents where it emerges from the ground.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh