Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default external data cable

On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:41:12 UTC, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
pj writes:
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

I would lay a duct, and then for starters just pull standard
cat5/6 cable through it. If it dies quickly, then consider
something more expensive.

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

Only if you are passing signals between the buildings which
carry a ground. Twisted pair ethernet is completely isolated
at both ends, so that's OK. Phone cables carry a ground, but
it should never be exposed by the phone instruments.

We'll have w_tom along in a minute!

http://www.diybanter.com