Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default O/T: Up Yours

Garage_Woodworks wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Garage_Woodworks wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Whereas the CO2 has to be kept warehoused _forever_ or else
there's
no point in warehousing it.

What about converting the CO2 to carbonate? I think this is how
some
scrubbers operate.

The product of which (Na2CO3, K2CO3, CaCO3) could be sold to off
set
the cost of scrubbing.

The product carbonates also take up less volume to store.

And how much market is there for them?

I dug up a reference for ya. This guy is using NaOH as the base so
he ends
up with NaHCO3 (baking soda). Is there a market for super pure
baking
soda??

Chem:
CO2+H2O ---- H2CO3
H2CO3 + NaOH ----- NaHCO3 + H2O

Not carbonate in this reference, but bicarbonate. I suppose if you
adjust
the amount of NaOH and monitor the pH you could also make Na2CO3
with
his
process.

http://www.news.com/Can-baking-soda-...3-6220127.html

Now, find out what the major use of baking soda is. I believe that
you will find that it is, well, _baking_. Then look at what baking
soda does when baking. It reacts with acidic components of the recipe
to release CO2. So the CO2 is not locked away where it doesn't
contribute to greenhouse emissions, it's just released a little later.

Of course you could make baking soda and store it in a warehouse
somewhere forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and pray that
the warehouse doesn't burn down, because when you get the stuff hot,
what does it do? It breaks down and releases CO2.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)