Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Larson Neil Larson is offline

Default Fibre Board For A Zero Clearance Insert

Yeah, what he siad. I needed a new one for my Delta Contractor II and
decided to use 1/8" fiberboard because I had it around. Of course, I had a
bunch, so I decided to make a few. Used set screws to make adjuster pads,
put the first one in and made my initial cut. All llloked good, about 3 or 4
cuts later, i noticed the insert flexing down and as I wondered to myself,
"I wonder if that is bad", the saw sucked it in, shatered it and then
ejected the pieces it didn't want at rather high speed.

Now I used 3/4" MDF and use my planer to bring it to exact thickness, use a
flush trim bit in the router table to make it fit and I am thinking of
adding a splitter from hardwood that I have seen on a few other homemade
inserts.

Good luck.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On May 18, 2:41 am, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My elderly Craftsman TS needed a zero clearance insert. Because of the
design of the TS, 1/8" fiber board seemed to fit perfectly. Is there any
reason not use use this material in this context (as opposed to 1/8" wood
materia)?

Table sawing minds want to know ...

If there is room, you could glue (WeldBond/epoxy) some vertical ribs
along the bottom of the 1/8" piece parallel to the blade and close to
the blade to reduce flexing.
1/8" board like can be pulled downward creating an angle relative to
the blade which can become a problem if it happens between the blade
and the fence. You do not want to have any skew there.
Aluminium?