Posted to alt.home.repair

Default restoring liquid crystal display

On 5/17/2008 5:24 PM larry spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/17/2008 6:23 AM spake thus:

The liquid crystal displays on both of our landline phones have gone
illegible. Is there a way to restore them?

I have the same problem with my El Cheapo digital voltmeter; part of the
last digit got creamed when water got sprayed on the unit, and now
doesn't display. All else works fine (I can usually just ignore that
last digit anyhow). Any fix for this?

probably corrosion or the zebra strip lost connection
between the pc board and glass lcd. zebra strip is a rubber
strip with many thin conductive layers.

you might try a little pressure at the edge of the display
first to see if the zebra strip might slide a little and
make contact again. there is a very real possibility you
might never get the zebra strip back in place if you try the
following. does take some practice.

[snip procedure]

Yes, I know about those connectors, having taken a lot of LCD devices
apart (but didn't know what they were called). And thanks for the
suggestion. I think I'll just leave it alone; the chances are that it
wouldn't work at all if I tried to rebuild it. I'm pretty sure that is
where the problem is as you suggest.

I see that my surplus catalog (Electronix.com) sells those same DVMs for
$7.95. Not worth tinkering with.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill