Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred the Red Shirt Fred the Red Shirt is offline

Default O/T: Up Yours

On May 18, 1:56 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Han wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in news:g0na0502lr3
@news2.newsguy.com:

So what, we're going to warehouse an increasing volume of CO2
forever?

Mother Gaia has done it, in clathrates, or whatever they call the
complexes in the cold nether regions of the oceans. It can be
done
other ways as well.

Yes clathrates. Methane forms them too. There are large
deposits of methane clathrates on the ocean floor, metastable
at their present temperature of pressures. But if they warm
up just a little, they'll let lose.

It might have happened in the past, google methane
gun hypothesis.

..

Of course there will always be NIMBY, but I think that filling
underground voids generated by mining would be a good place.

Will those voids be sufficient, considering that what you're putting
in them has had two atoms of oxygen added to each atom of carbon that
was taken out? And will those voids be sufficiently secure to keep it
segregated _forever_? If so then why not put nuclear waste there?

They're talking about pumping it into the voids under the
North Sea left over from petroleum extraction. At those
depths it will liquefy, or maybe form clathrates.

Sounds nuts to me.

--

FF